ICF’s definition of coaching is “partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential.”
Coaching is a unique process that honors the client as the expert in his/her life and believes that every client is creative, resourceful, and whole. Unlike therapy, there is nothing to fix and no diagnosis. The coach partners with his/her client to:
1. Discover and clarify the client’s goals
2. Encourage client self-discovery
3. Elicit client-generated solutions and strategies
4. Hold the client responsible and accountable
5. Move the client forward in learning and personal growth
Coaching is an ongoing partnership that helps clients produce results in their personal and professional lives they might not achieve alone. It is a unique process that differs from therapy, mentoring, counseling, and training.