Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
How Unconscious Bias Shows Up in Coaching: What You Can Do About It with Kanu Kogod, PhD, MCC
In all our relationships there is bias. Some of it we are conscious of and some biases are only revealed when our bias collides with another’s. Whatever your race or ethnicity, you can learn to interrupt the impulse to act and consider the complexity of identity at play. In other words, the more distinctions you can make about your client, the more you will breakdown the unconscious biases at play. Knowing your biases and how they might show up is a key to building trust- your most important skill in the coaching relationship.
In this session:
- You will understand how bias shows up in the coaching relationship and how to mitigate the effects of bias.
- You will learn a method for conscious, constructive inquiry and other mindful practices to incorporate in coaching.
- You will also have the opportunity to practice some of the tools in breakout sessions.
- Understand how bias shows up in in all of us, regardless of race or ethnicity.
- Raise awareness about uncertainty and the effects of subtle bias in the coaching relationship.
- Learn and practice conscious constructive inquiry to build greater trust.
- Develop your capacity to elicit invisible rules around power, workstyles and coded language.
- Practice a mindfulness tool for moving into uncertain territory in the inquiry process.
Co-Sponsored by the following ICF Chapters:
Cleveland, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio Valley, St Louis and Wisconsin
Participants will earn 1.5 Core Competency and .5 Resource Development CCEs for attending.
Kanu Kogod is trained as an anthropologist, organizational development consultant and master certified coach with work experience in India, Kenya, Rwanda and Peru. She founded Bridges in Organizations in 1987 to focus on creating healthy organizational cultures where people at all levels can thrive. Kanu co-designed and for over nine years facilitated Leadership Alchemy, an award-winning nine-month transformational leadership development program at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center. Leadership Alchemy has won awards and received vast acclaim for helping to create a shift in NASA’s culture and leadership practices.
Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 2:00 PM until 4:00 PM
online via our Zoom platform
Education and Development
Registration is not available online - contact the event coordinator
Payment In Full In Advance Only